These days, I'm doing a lot of experimenting with CORN MEAL. I tried them adding in rice flour roti, rava dosa, paratha. I had the idea to make idlis with JUST corn meal a few days ago. I used corn meal instead of rava and got fantastic results!
I recently found a pack of broken corn meal in an Asian supermarket and decided to make Idlis with it. These Idlis are so simple to make and easy to digest and light on the stomach.
To make healthy and colourful vegetable Corn Idli, use any vegetables of your choice. & My next plan is make Upma using Corn meal Will share that as well soon.
- Broken Yellow Corn Meal - 1.5 cup
- Thick Unsour Curd / Yogurt - 1 cup
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 tsp + for greasing idli plates
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Eno Fruit Salt - 1 tsp (Baking soda - ½ tsp)
- Take broken corn in a mixer and powder it finely. Add in curd and puree it finely.
- Pour it into a bowl, add more water if needed and salt. Let it sit for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle in mustard seeds and urad dal. Pour this into the batter and mix well.
- Add in eno salt and mix well.
- Grease idli plates with some oil. Fill idli mould ¾th full. Cover and steam it for 15 mins.
- Remove it and let it cool a little. Dip spoon in water and remove idlies carefully.
- Serve with chutney..